Tuesday, October 09, 2007

 

Oy


And now, after a post that sprung fully-formed from the middle of my forehead (or my fingers) now I get something I actually have to think about, thanks to The Knitting Linguist. That'll teach me to hang out with people who get all fancy about words.

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why? Hardcover, all the way. They feel meatier, more serious. Paperbacks are disposable. Even a "trashy novel" deserves the seriousness of a hard cover. Plus, I can hold them open easier at work with the stapler or the tape dispenser and knit while I read them. I don't care about the weight.

2. If I were to own a book shop, I would call it... That's a hard one. The Mine possibly, seeing a mine implies treasure, while "mine" implies I own it. That or The Rabbit Hutch.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) I don't know if I have a favourite quote. I use a lot of quotes. One of the ones I like most at the moment is from Terry Pratchett's "The Last Hero" "It's what ordin'ry people remember that matters. It's songs and sayin's. It doesn't matter how you live and die, it's how the bards wrote it down." Almost anything of Pratchett's is quotable. I don't have any one quote that I live and die by.

4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be... Terry Pratchett. He's a freakin' genius, and I suspect his mind either works rather like mine ... or like nothing I've ever met before.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be… A very large hard-cover book full of blank pages. I live to write as much as to read. If I couldn't write I might go insane.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that… I don't think I need any gadgets.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of... Comfort. Wealth. Luxury. Mystery.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be…Oh, possibly Bilbo Baggins.

9. The most overestimated book of all times is…The Bible.

10. I hate it when a book… Has so many damned typos and inconsistencies that all I can think of is editing it heavily with a red pencil and sending it back to the author with a big card reading "For shame!"

And now I'm to tag others with this. Most folks I know hate memes, but a few will indulge me. So I'm tagging Ann and Mrs. Quimby and Bunni and Mel.

You may all conspire to set me alight at your earliest convenience.

Comments:
Holy shite, how could you decide on most of those? Although I'm with you on Pratchett. Love that man! (I wanna be Nanny Ogg when I grow up.) But I have to go with paperback, alas. Love hardbacks for longevity, but the tendinitis can't handle 'em any more, and I don't have a place to put the damned bookholder. Besides, I can carry a lot more paperbacks at once. [g]
 
Oh, man, I love Terry Pratchett! Last winter I re-read the Discworld from beginning to almost-end (I don't have Wintersmith) and loved it all over again.

". . . them as has it in them to shine will shine through six layers of muck, whereas those who ain't shiny won't shine however much you buff 'em."
 
Hi, This is my first post here although I have been a faithful reader for a while.
I read the answer to # 2 as if you would name the book store "There's a hard one". I figured you would only sell hard- backs.
 
Wow, these are hard questions! I agree with you wholeheartedly on #10, although I'd send it to the editor. And I also have a problem with authors who get too fond of one particular phrase or metaphor. Even if everything else is copacetic, every time that phrase comes up it drives me nuts.
 
Apparently someone on Ravelry that met Terry Pratchett recently found out that he spins. He starts from the raw fleece as well. He then knits himself socks with the yarn.

I prefer hardbacks simply because these come out first and when you read a lot of fantasy series, this gets to be important.
 
If Terry Pratchett spins and knits his own socks - he is now perfect.

One of my favorite quotes:

"Multiple exclamation marks are the sure sign of a deranged mind."

Love yr blog!!!!!

Lori in Seattle
 
Such good answers! How did you DO that on short notice?! Decisions about books are hard for me (I'm currently rethinking my favorite quote; it might be Adams' "Don't Panic", all in friendly letters, but that could be because of the homework I assigned my students). OK, now I have to go find some more Terry Pratchett. (Thanks for humoring my meme-mongering; I knew you'd have fun stuff to say.)
 
That was fun. Thanks for not tagging me, though; that would have ensured I'd have been buried in work up to my neck and frustrated as hell. And flammable things heading your way.
 
Bilbo Baggins--now there's a hobbit with an excellent set of priorities.

Caught by the same tagger, I was way less interesting.
 
Pratchett is worshipped in this house. I've just started my 10 year old on Discworld books (he's read all the "young adult" Pratchett already -- he spent months running around talking like a Feegle). We saw Pratchett when he was touring to support Thud and I can tell you that he is just as wonderful in real life as he is on the page. Thief of Time is one of my favorite books of all times. My husband even refers to me as "the Kelda."

-- Loren
 
Love, love love Terry Pratchett!!! I was a long time in discovering him and, when I finally settled down with one of the DiscWorld books, I couldn't believe that I'd missed this. Such fun!!!
 
Hee - forgot. Have you noticed there's an Ankh-Morpork Knitter's Guild group on Ravelry? [vbeg] Like you need to add to the time-suck... ::runs like hell::
 
You have been having fun! A meme of all things. You should go out more often ;) I should go out more often.
 
Thanks for introducing me to The Knitting Linguist AND Terry Pratchett. Apparently I live under a rock.
 
I adore Terry Pratchett! I teach high school and my favorite quote from him is "Real children don't go skippity-hop unless they're on drugs."

And Bilbo Baggins in one of my all-time heros.

You have excellent taste.
Scienceprincess
 
You know, I know he has a huge following but I am always so thrilled and surprised to find another Pratchett fan. He's my God.

My daughter and I got to hear him speak at the DC Book Festival a couple of weeks ago (there's an entry about it on my blog...but I can't now, of course, remember exactly what date) and he worried me somewhat by telling us that his doctor told him he is "losing brain cells." And that he had "some sort of incident a year or two ago but was too busy to realize it." I want him around for a long, healthy time.

His next book is, at the moment, called Nation, and he has the idea for another Moist von Lipwig book percolating.

And that he spins and knits!? Icing on the cake.
 
Just wanted you to know how your new verb has stuck in my head, and it gives me a thrill every time I say it. This is now morphing into an 'event'; I've left details on my blog posting for today, but suffice it to say, "Knat at the Museum" is going to be a rockin' good time. Thanks for the inspiration. Cami
 
You know, I found this blog because I was looking for the Viking Chicken Hat, and your entry about it had some reference to Nuggan and Abominations. How could I resist?

One of my favorite quotes is from Monstrous Regiment:

"So what we have here is a country that tries to run itself on the commandments of a god who, the people feel, may be wearing his underpants on his head. Has he Abominated underpants?"

Good stuff.
 
So what happened to Tinkerbell's fleece?
 
RACHEL!!!!! I just got an email from Gather. Can I be one of the first to congratulate you on being one of five that made it through?!?

Yay!!!! Happy Dance.
 
No, No, No! I'm an idiot! Two favorite blogs on one screen. I'm so so embarrassed. Please disregard. Flipping idiot, that's me.

Sorry Rabbitch!!
 
Giggle giggle giggle......
 
I like Terry`s books, but as a person I find him a bit hard to take...perhaps his ego being the size of a small planet has just a little to do with htis...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?